The painting on glass – 2 day class course is aimed at complete beginners who want to learn how to paint on glass using traditional stained glass techniques to enhance their leaded and stained glass panels.
We will be learning and using traditional techniques used for hundreds of years in the manufacture of church and cathedral stained glass.
When the vitreous paint is fired in the kiln it permanently becomes part of the glass. During the weekend, each student will have a chance to paint several pieces of glass and to take home any finished pieces, or have them posted home at the end of the weekend. It may be necessary to post pieces depending on how many need to be fired during the time we have. This will be discussed as necesary over the weekend. (Postage and packing is usually around £15 "first class, signed for delivery" should it be necessary for your pieces to be posted to you afterwards.)
What we will cover:
- The types of stained glass paints available on the market
- How to mix and prepare them ready for painting
- Mixing paints, to create outline, shading, stain and colour
- Various painting techniques and the brushes and tools to use
- Mark making techniques
- How the gas kiln firings work and temperatures for the various paints we will be using.
- Applying silver stain and coloured glass paints (enamels)
- All glass and materials are included.
There is a limit of seven people per workshop enabling individual tuition.
Please note : This course is only run a couple of times a years and is for adults over the age of 16 years old.